Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Happy 2008

Happy New Year Friends! I'm happy to announce that First Night Missoula was a big success this year, with record attendance, second only to 2000. While I spent most of the day on the 31st coordinating volunteer efforts from our basement command center, I was encouraged by the lack of any major catastrophes reported from the field. After working so hard on such a big event, I expected I'd have some sense of how it went when all was said and done. But I've had to rely on volunteer accounts and the lack of complaints from participants to assess that all must have gone well! I did get out for about 20 minutes to view the ice carvers and pony riders in Caras Park, light a candle for peace, and read a Shakespeare sonnet (#108) on the sidewalk. I was also in charge of the First Night Idol competition at the Wilma theater--a contest for high school karaoke stars that went off without a hitch. The rest of the evening was spent manning the First Night table at the University Center, where people were still buying buttons up until 11:30! And finally, a week later, I'm having a chance to reflect on the New Year...I wish you a very prosperous and happy 2008! SB

No comments: