Thursday, August 02, 2007

Eye Contact

Is it just me?
Why is it so hard to sustain eye contact with other people?
One of the most uncomfortable experiences is entering a long hallway or walking on a side walk with a person coming towards me in the other direction. At what point do you acknowledge the other person?

What I've noticed is that both people spend a lot of energy looking at the ground, from side to side, or otherwise distracting ourselves until we get close. Then there's the decision: to greet or not to greet. It may depend on the other. Are they going to acknowledge me?

Entering a building this morning, I said 'good morning' to a man who was locking up his bike. He just looked at me.

How did we get to a point where greeting others is such a psychological drama?

No comments: