Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Buffalo Horn Ranch - VII






Buffalo Horn Ranch Diaries




A New York Chef at Home on the "Range"

These letters were written to my friends in NYC in the Fall of 2000, when I worked as Head Chef at a hunting lodge in Meeker, Colorado.

Well, with just minutes remaining at the ranch, I thought I'd close out the Buffalo Horn Chronicles with a sigh. I'm really sad to be leaving the west...I guess I'm a little bit country, a little bit rock & roll after all. Some folks have already left...Luke, Jake, Shane. Chrissie and I are next. We'll drive to Denver today and fly out tomorrow.

Whit Hudson arrived the other day. He's the owner. He also partly owns the Miami Dolphins and Blockbuster Video. He seems like a very decent guy, but a bit reserved, probably because, as I just found out, he'll be closing down the ranch and selling it off in pieces. What a shame. The possibility has been in the air as a rumor floating around...we were all kinda hoping that he'd just get rid of Jim & Gail (the probable cause for the Ranch not making money) and hire us all back next year for Buffalo Horn, part deux. Funny that I'll probably never see these great folks again, after getting to know them all so well. It's something that doesn't happen in NYC. We don't have as much time for each other in the city. I don't think we care any less, but we just don't get enough time to enjoy the people that we love. Hmmm...

I do look forward to seeing you all again. I'll be sharing Thanksgiving with my dad and sister at the loft, so if you don't already have plans, please join us! Dad's bringing a turkey fresh from the Pennsylvania farm! And I'll probably make a dish or two myself!

Hope you have a merry Thanksgiving with your friends and loved ones!

xo

SB over and out

No comments: