2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup maple syrup
Grits: (I use Quaker Old Fashioned Grits, not the quick cooking ones.)
3 cups water
1 1/2 TB chopped garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
(pinch cayenne optional)
2 TB butter (sometimes I add a little extra- shhhh.)
1 1/4 cups grits
2 TB heavy cream
- Place the sweet potatoes in a pot of water, with 1 1/2 tsp salt.
- Boil, then reduce heat to simmer until tender with fork.
- Drain and puree in food mill or ricer (I just mash ‘em up with one of those… “mashers”!)
- Fold in rest of salt, pepper, spices and syrup.
While the sweets are boiling, cook grits:
- Gradually whip in the grits, bring to boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer and cook until creamy, and the grits separate from the side of the pan.
Remove from heat, and fold in the heavy cream. Heat oven to 400. In a large bowl, mix the puree with the grits. Mix in the egg yolks after you’ve beaten them. In a separate bowl, whisk the whites into soft peaks. Gently fold them into the yam/grits mix. Spread in a 9x13 casserole dish. Bake until sets, the top will be a little light brown, about 35 minutes. Live in Ecstasy.